HostGator Newsletter – September 2010

Written by Daniel Collette

Thursday, September 30th, 2010

Gator Happenings

August proved to be a record setting month for us here at HostGator, with over 26,000 sign-ups! The best part of all this is that we are currently so overstaffed that many of our employees have been complaining that there is no work for them to do. In the business world, a company that is overstaffed is traditionally looked upon as being mismanaged and/or poorly run. We have a different philosophy here and believe that the more overstaffed we are, the better it is for business. Being overstaffed allows us to provide a much higher caliber of support which in turn increases our reputation, and ultimately leads to faster growth. Many of you reading this may be worried that we may have grown too large to value a single account, however this is not and never will be the case. Should you ever have an issue with our traditional support mediums, simply request that your ticket be assigned to our owner, Brent. He will be more than happy to provide you with the V.I.P. attention that you deserve.

HostGator Austin is still hiring!

As you may have concluded, we have no plans to slow our hiring process, and currently we are aggressively seeking out experienced Linux administrators who are well-versed in cPanel and WHM. If you feel you may be a good candidate, you can find more information on our jobs page here.

Not a computer guru? Not experienced in Linux administration? Not a problem! You can still get paid by HostGator for referring potential candidates that successfully complete 90 days of full-time employment. We are currently offering $2,500 for each qualified Admin you send us, and $500 for chat/phone techs. For more information on this, and to get started with your referrals, visit our referral page.

Watch out GoDaddy!

HostGator is mere weeks away from offering domain registration from our very own domain registrar service. Not only will the registration prices be significantly cheaper than GoDaddy, but you will also receive the legendary 24/7 around the clock support that you have come to know and love from HostGator.

HostGator Abound

You may have been seeing Snappy more and more lately. With our recent billboard placements, Nascar sponsorship, UFC fighter sponsorships, human inkings, and sponsorships of various other ventures, you may be asking, What’s next? Well, here it is: If you are a gamer, you will be seeing our hungry little gator on the trunks of a few fighters on the upcoming EA Sports: MMA! For more information on this game, and to pre-order, visit EA MMA’s page.

That’s all for this month folks, until next month, stay happy, stay safe!

– Daniel Collette and The HostGator team

Newsletter
Comments

35 Responses to HostGator Newsletter – September 2010

1. Peggie says:

Glad to see the steady growth and exposure. Congratulations!

Do you have any intentions of having a reseller program for domain name registrations?

• Daniel Collette says:

@Peggie, Not immediately, however it is definitely something that we will be looking into a bit down the road!

2. Ron says:

I love to see your guys’ continued growth. I’m excited to see what you guys roll out for domain registration, will it support the easy transferring of domains between accounts and coupon codes?

3. Valerie says:

Hopefully you’ll work out the domain name reseller details and program quickly (good thing to use the under-utilized staff members for!). I’m a fairly new hosting reseller, and I’d prefer to keep everything together.

4. Nathan R. says:

How does this new domain reg. rollout affect resellers using http://www.enom.com?

• Daniel Collette says:

@Nathan, we will be rolling out a domain reseller program as well, however that may be a bit down the road. Once that does happen, we should have procedures in place to aid in the transfer of existing resellers.

5. Ian says:

Human inkings?! As is paying people to get Hostgator tattoos?

6. Alan says:

Great to see some impressive growth these days! I’d be interested in an admin job if you get me a green card! :) …or if you decide to open a European HQ in Ireland!

7. blogger says:

I signed up for a reseller program a two weeks ago. The chat system for technical support is great, but the ticket system is not.

8. Gnoll says:

Hostgator supports :) – hostgator loves sports ^^ , Very cool … keep it up guys !

9. Ian says:

@Daniel Collette

Huh. I missed that the first time around.

Hostgator has been a fantastic hosting site that I’ve used for many projects since about 2007 but when my current year is up I’ll be taking my business elsewhere and suggesting that any friends I know on hostgator do the same.

It’s free country; advertise how you see fit but you won’t get to use any more of my money to do it.

This article from the register regarding the whole Golden Palace fiasco back in 2005 pretty much sums up my opinion on it.

(And for the record: I like tattoos and have two myself.)

• Daniel Collette says:

@Ian, I am actually the person whose arm is shown in the photo. I got the tattoo for the same reason I got the other tattoos that I have. All of my tattoos have some sort of meaning or importance related to a time or event in my life. This tattoo was no exception, as I have been a long time HostGator employee and I have been through a lot with HostGator. I have no regrets, and I feel that I made an informed decision before getting this tattoo. I just wanted to clarify this.

10. Craig J says:

Glad to see you are getting the domain registrations sorted out finally.
    How about pages with SEO tips and good practice for new web designers.
    Austin is not that big so word will get around you are hiring.

11. Kim Beasley says:

I love the fact that you are going to be a registrar! You bet GoDaddy.com will have to watch out and so will 1and1.com!

12. SteveC says:

Yes – glad you’ll be originator for domain names as well. I know you’ve got the HG.com/domains protal as a reseller for eNom, and it’s caused me a lot of problems trying to renew (non-auto-renew) domain names.
    Will domains we purchased through HG.com/domains, or through your sales dept also be “transferred” to you as a primary domain registrar? Or, will we have to try to Enom to unlock them, and then go through a transfer (an another registration fee) with HG? I know that eNom doesn’t recognize me as an account holder for the domains that they have registered, since they were resold through HG.com/domains.

13. Tofik Online says:

i love hostgator :D

14. Martin says:

How many did you pay for the MMA? It is just great!

15. Karen Cruz says:

That is awesome about becoming a domain registrar. I have gotten all my domains from GoDaddy because that’s what they are known for. It would be easier to be able to register at the very site you are being hosted at to avoid having to deal with manually changing nameservers, cnames, etc. I like that you are stepping it up HostGator!!

16. Fran says:

Hey Everyone at Hostgator,
    Am really glad you are doing domain registration and business is great. Have had great support from you.
    Fran

17. Meredith says:

I am glad to hear, as most HostGator customers are, about the registrar service coming online soon. When you roll out the reseller program, please don’t forget the valuable plug-ins needed by those using WHMCS, and similar. They are a must have for hosting resellers. :)

Since this is a blog, I feel I need to comment on the tattoo thing. Bad hosting is not the only reason alot of people don’t like GoDaddy. Many people don’t like what they stand for. Please consider this when choosing how you do your own PR. Sometimes these things get bigger than ourselves, and it’s important when you have this kind of power to use it wisely.

Thanks for the input!
    Meredith

18. Lucas says:

Relocation Benefits for Tech Support? :)

19. Raghu says:

Nice!! waiting for the domain registrations to get started !!!
    Also, why don’t you look for a datacenter in India for the APAC market and a team here too?

20. Craig says:

I’m trying to find out when this will be available, as I have some domains about to expire. Maybe you should inform your tech support department, as this is the response I received:

“Although I don’t know anything about becoming our own registrar, I do know that for the foreseeable future, this is Hostgator’s registrar for setting up domains with us. “

21. Wolf says:

I guess I’m about to find out, because I have been getting the runaround from customer service for going on three days.

I never used to have problems with your customer support, and have I recommended your company based on that experience. Never again.

22. Wolf says:

I can now confirm from experience, and with 100% certainty that the claim in this newsletter that “Should you ever have an issue with our traditional support mediums, simply request that your ticket be assigned to our owner, Brent. He will be more than happy to provide you with the V.I.P. attention that you deserve,” is nothing more than baseless marketing BS.

Not only will Brent not handle your ticket personally, but it will be put back into the regular queue at the lowest level of support for more of the same ridiculous runaround.

Way to fail Hostgator! I knew you could do it!

23. mak says:

Great news about domains direct from HG, pity the domain reseller will be ‘down the line’ tho!

Really can’t wait have been sweating over which domain reseller to choose so I hope you guys do it soon!

If you domain customer service is half as good as your hosting you will be the best!

Please keep up the good work you have never let me down yet!

24. cheap nike air max says:

25. Hansom Boy says:

Thanks for Sharing. BRAVO HOST GATOR

26. Crystal Evans says:

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Crystal from Louisiana, US.
    __________________

27. Christine says:

Congratulations! I am going to be signing up very soon with you folks. I’ve heard great things about your customer support. I am going to start designing sites for people. I will probably go with a reseller acct.

i love hostgator too

29. grace removals says:

Screen superb and actually helps them understand the subject better. ………♥ removalists | Furniture Removalists Melbourne | piano removals